Thursday, July 9, 2009

New Batch = Bottled, And Other Ruminations...

"To cultures that have felt the life force of plants or of brewing, who have felt themselves make a deep connection with that life force, brewing is not a science - it is an art filled with the actions of the sacred."

- Stephen Harrod Buhner, Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers

So, the latest batch of beer has been successfully bottled (creatively code-named "Batch #6" for the time being). I managed to get 47 bottles out of the 5 gallons. Everything went as usual; although, even though I'm certain that I measured appropriately, I have a feeling that my Star San/water sanitizing solution was heavy on the Star San. It's no-rinse (and very environmentally friendly - yay!), so I'm incredibly worried, even though I know I shouldn't be, that there may be an off-flavor present in the final product. I hope not...I really hope not; an $80 batch of beer isn't something that I can easily retry right away again.

The Mrs. and I both feel that it came out pretty well, though. The berries are actually very well-balanced, and are certainly not too overpowering (a previous concern, feeding my neurosis). It smells much sweeter than it tastes (to put just how sweet this aroma is into perspective, according to my lovely wife, it smelled like cotton candy in our apartment all day). I feel like it is going to be just what I wanted - a light (but definitely "bodied"), refreshing way to watch these hot Florida summer months fade away in their own steamy haze (poetic, isn't it?).

Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV: 5.78%

On another note, I saved the last 3 bottles of my Serrapale Ale and brought them to my homebrew club meeting this past weekend. It was incredibly well-received by everyone there (which includes veteran homebrewers and individuals currently training to become certified beer judges). I was told that it was "the best pepper beer" that they have had, that I "shouldn't change a thing," and that I really should have entered it into a competition that is coming up (2009 First Coast Cup Homebrew Competition). I came up with the recipe from scratch, so it's very rewarding to have fellow beer enthusiasts and experienced beer tasters tell me how much they enjoy it. I'm going to re-brew it in time for another competition this fall and hope for the best!

I've also thought more about this here second carboy I have laying around. I now, of course, have the option to brew batches that require secondary fermentations, but I think that'll be its secondary function too (clever, right?). I'm going to use it to brew smaller, experimental batches (either concurrently or in between my regular brew sessions). These "experimental batches" will be based on variations of old recipes found in a great book I've started reading (quoted at the top, and alluded to a few posts ago) along with some attempts at gluten-free beer (my goal is to make a phenomenal gluten-free beer someday...I've heard that there just aren't any real contenders to put up against beers brewed with the traditional bunch of ingredients, and that just doesn't sit well with me). I've actually already got my eye on some recipes for brewing beers with dandelion and sage (as well as a few others...but let me get my feet a little damp first, if not entirely wet). Particularly, I think I'm going to try brewing a "maple beer" sometime soon and see how it goes; I envision it being a nice beverage to sip on by a fire on a cold winter night (it's literally fermented maple syrup...think "mead," but maple syrup instead of honey). So if I'm actually going to try to live out that fantasy, I guess I'll need to make sure I take it with me for a little vacation out of this (*cough*) wonderful state near the end of the year.

But anyway, this next batch should be ready in about another week and a half. I'm going to try something different this time too, when I officially sample it. I'm thinking either a podcast of sorts, or a brief video clip, documenting the initial taste. So keep an eye out for that - especially those of you who love hearing my beautiful voice, and seeing my pretty face.

Peace and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment