While brainstorming some ideas, a homebrew buddy of mine from the club, Dave, mentioned he had used maple in the past and was never really satisfied. He like my idea, though, so I asked him if he'd be interested in collaborating on a batch. We planned on doing a 10-gallon batch, splitting it in half, and doing the maple/oak additions at different intervals. This would allow us to see which one did better, in terms of the final flavor profile, and allow us to adjust as needed for future brews.
We arranged a day and time for the brew session (a few days before the semester was starting up again, so it was a great way to end the summer), and got to work on the ingredients and recipe. Dave's setup is quite awesome (see pictures below), and brewing all-grain for once was a really nice treat. From milling the grains to transferring the wort into two different fermenters, we spent the good portion of an entire afternoon and late morning brewing this bad boy. Dave's 5-gallons were to see a maple and oak addition a few days after fermentation had started (to give the yeast some time to work on the more complex sugars), while mine was to wait until racking to the secondary.
|Chilling the wort|
|Siphoning Dave's 5-gallons|
|Siphoning my 5-gallons|
Peace and Love!