Friday, July 31, 2009

Going Au NaturALE!

Okay, so I didn't come up with that incredibly clever phrase, titling this post (I saw it in a magazine, highlighting the "best" homebrew beer labels), but it was too clever to pass up in this context.

Seven Bridges Cooperative is holding its 3rd annual National Organic Brewing Challenge. It's an official BJCP/AHA sanctioned national competition, and entries must conform to BJCP standards. All ingredients must be verified organic (with a few exceptions, such as yeast and a couple types of sugars), and proof is required. Entries are being accepted between September 1st and October 9th. More info can be found here: Competition Rules.

I'm planning on brewing a batch for this competition very soon (I've got the semester starting up on September 1st, so I want to get this one bottled before I start teaching). What I've got in mind is a basic Blonde Ale. However, instead of priming my bottles with dextrose (corn sugar), I'm going to use organic honey (not sure which kind yet). I'm going to be formulating the recipe in the next couple days so I can place my order for the ingredients (my local homebrew shop doesn't really have the selection of organic supplies that Seven Bridges' site does) shortly thereafter.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it's going before I actually kick off the boil, though, via some mind-blowing tweets!

Peace and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment